Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I had a pretty good week last week.

I started my week in Chicago at a pseudo-job interview with my Dad's company Geosyntec where I presented about my PhD research. Unfortunately, my Dad didn't prepare me for an audience of geotechnical engineers so most of my story was a bit over their heads considering they don't know about wastewater treatment. But, on the whole it went well and it was good practice for my conference presentation the following day. And, I must say that my conference presentation went exceedingly well! I really enjoy going to conferences because I get to tell people about how great my research is and they actually want to listen. Plus, I like putting presentations together - its a somewhat rare opportunity for us science geeks to be creative both visually and naratively as a good presentation has a story tell.

I made it back from Chicago on Wed. night just in time to help Cathy and Randy move their stuff into the moving truck and spend one last night eating Jupiter's pizza before they headed out to Boston. Okay, that part wasn't so great because its the start of the break up of our married couples group but at least they're happy.

Finally, I went out to Los Angeles to compete in the Pan-American Jiu-Jitsu Championship (PanAms for short) - hence the name of by blog (bjj = brazilian jiu-jitsu). I competed in the no gi competition on Friday, where I unfortunately lost and in the gi competition on Saturday where I won the silver medal. That's me on the podium in the title picture. I have to admit that I didn't enter this competition to win a medal, something that some of my higher level teamates might disapprove of. For me, entering this competition was more about being fearless and confident in myself. Knowing that win or lose, I gain a person victory just by being brave enough to give it a try. I let myself believe that I deserved to be there and in the end, I think that attitude helped me win. So many women struggle with their confidence and their self esteem - I see it in every arena of my life. Even in female PhD students at UIUC, a top university in my field. I think martial arts is good route for women to find their confidence and learn to be fearless - it has been for me anyway. The lessons you learn cross-over to every other aspect of life....one other additional benefit, you don't even notice you're excerising when you enjoy it so I'll take martial arts over the gym any day.

This is K.C. - the other McVicker chic at my school - getting her gold medal at the PanAms. It wasn't until K.C. came around that I started to think about competing seriously. I really think having other women around makes a difference. Its difficult to put my finger on exactly why that is but its kinda like a martial arts sorority without the caty bitches. We encourage each other instead of putting each other down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home